Thursday 30 April 2015

Module 1 - Task 2d: Inquiry

As the focus for upcoming tasks on the BAPP course shifts to a new area within professional practice, it is worth taking the time to reflect (dare I say) on themes and common points of reference that have cropped up during my study on this part of the module. After reviewing previous blog posts and journal entries it is becoming apparent that environment is having an impact on my professional practice, more specifically how different groups of individuals interplay and serve roles in the structure of my activities within that environment. It was interesting to observe how my reflection has been informed as a result of the depth of a space, the volume of others populating it and how this affects mental and physical activity when operating within it. I have also noticed that I seem to gauge other people’s actions and go on extend upon their views in relation to my own practice. I am finding that attentiveness to others often empowers my own reflection as opposed to internalising it.

What in your daily practice gets you really enthusiastic to find out more about? Who do you admire who also works with what makes you enthusiastic?

On a day-to-day basis I am often consuming information about the performing arts industry by access of web 2.0 technology or printed text. I find that both mediums serve me in different way. Platforms such as Facebook can keep me up to date on what my past and present colleagues and ex-college friends are up to. I am excited to see them share news on a new performance job they have landed and details as to how it occurred. In terms of printed text, I am a subscriber of ‘The Stage’, a weekly newspaper covering all-aspects performing arts related. The articles featured are written by people who I obviously have no personal relation with but echo a lot of the same sentiments I often share about the industry. As well as providing advice for performers as to how they can promote themselves and get the most out of time navigating through the winding path that is a career in the arts. On the other hand, there will often be articles by figures of interest or influence to me who spurred me to choose a career in the arts to begin with. It is reaffirming to know they themselves, someone more accomplished or prominent in the industry for being heard than I, share the same consensus of opinion on how to conduct their goings on in the profession. The link below features an actor who solidified my passion to make acting a choice of career, talking about his experience in breaking into the industry. Although I can recognise that the process described was subject to a different period of time, one where information and knowledge were not as widely available to an overly-saturated market-space, the act of sourcing these opportunities remains very much the same. It is the willingness to take a leap of faith or risk, something that never changes for the artist. They hunger for it!


Prospective lines of inquiry: In attempting to cast a wider net for themselves, have web 2.0 platforms actually shrunk prospects for potential candidates in relation to opportunities within the profession rather than extend them?

What gets you angry or makes you sad? Who do you admire who shares your feelings or has found a way to work around the sadness or anger?

It is no secret that the performing arts industry has been suffering for a number of years now for both political and economic reasons. It saddens me that today’s generation of upcoming professional performers are not met with the same amount of prospects as was present maybe ten or fifteen years ago. Before graduating from college I remember speaking with various tutors on the current state of the industry who said, without sounding too pessimistic, that this is perhaps one of the worst periods for new performers to be starting out. To a certain extent, I disregarded this knowledge whilst training. I knew it would be a tough market-place but opportunities would surely present themselves if met with enough hard work? Unfortunately over-saturation was only half the problem and, although I was aware of it happening at the time, I did not seem to feel the impact of the other factor at play until after I had graduated. The government has decimated spending with severe cuts across all areas of the arts sector in recent years. Here is an article discussing its current state and plans for its future.


This is a subject I have found myself touching upon in my reflective journal. Expenditure allocated to bodies like Arts Council UK are stretched therefore limiting the amount of funding available for application. Long-running, renowned or established work will often take a priority over newer material for its previous successes from a by-gone era that is often referred to as the ‘golden age’ of theatre. I am not naïve as to think that the money will automatically be given to stage productions of this ilk, but I do feel it is damaging to neglect developing artistry. Out of curiosity and after a bit of research, I have found that there are still various numbers of active communities and groups seeking to promote the arts in ways that the government will not. Here is an example of a group below I found to be very admirable in supporting and curating such opportunities.


It is, in a way, ironic that there has never been more appeal to get involved in the arts when the prospects are so few. But who exactly do I refer to? This is another personal and general argument; are the arts becoming exclusive to those who have the means to sustain it? It is true that the interest for it is at a record high, but do establishments such as performing arts colleges allow prospective students access to study due to their financial circumstances? Does this in fact place applicant’s class divide above talent or ability? The article below explores this notion.


Prospective lines of inquiry: Can the arts industry ever return to or accommodate for the demand in today’s current climate? Is performing arts becoming exclusive to those of the higher class?

What do you love about what you do? Who do you admire who also seems to love this or is an example of what you love?

When I first became interested in the arts back in school, acting in particular, I would often be asked by friends and family what has drawn me to it and why do I feel such an affinity towards it. I would be lying if I said that I don’t find it immensely enjoyable and fun, it is essentially the reason why we all endeavour to pursue such a profession. The difficulty came in articulating where this enjoyment stems from. I don’t think I was able to give an accurate response until I was studying at college, a time in which I was looking at my practice in a very focused and critical capacity. I think for a lot of people, performing stops becoming fun when they realise the amount of work that is actually required on their part to execute it effectively. I remember being introduced to the idea of keeping a character scrap by my acting tutor in my first year of college. Although I was unsure as to how it would inform my practice, I was eager to give it a try. I built a process with my then current knowledge including character or animal observation for physicality, the analysis of characteristics for playing the role as well as background research of the text’s setting. I then looked to implement this work in rehearsals, either independently or as a cast collective. I found that as a result the strength of my knowledge about the text and my character had increased tenfold. I felt much more confident in my choices as an actor. After the same tutor began questioning my decisions for such choices made, she would always provoke my thinking with alternative reasons as to a character’s intentions. This was not to suggest to me that my findings were in any way wrong but to help develop a receptiveness in my work. I studied a number of acting practitioner’s at college and still often find myself returning to their theories. A particular one that I always recall is that of Declan Donnellan’s (2002).

“Actors often experience paralysis because they have                                                              been looking for a ‘one’. The search for ‘one’ is a wild                                                            goose chase; there is no magic ‘one’ that will solve every-                                                      thing. Life comes in opposed ‘twos’. Trying to simplify,                                                                cut corners and get things done in ‘one’ blocks the                                                                   actor. This rule of ‘two’ is as easy as riding a bicycle and                                                      equally difficult to explain in words.”

This view combined with my tutor’s thoughts reminded why as to why, of the three arts forms I practice, I enjoy acting the most. Dance and singing require a very linear and specific approach to develop and achieve technique, but acting is subjective. There is often an inextricably linked ‘other’ to any choice presumed by the actor. The process of discovering this is intoxicating and I continue to attempt to improve and adapt my preparation with every role I undertake.

Prospective lines of inquiry: In comparison to dancing and singing, what makes acting as an art form subjective?

What do you feel you don’t understand? Who do you admire who does seem to understand it or who has found a way of making not understanding it interesting or beautiful, or has asked the same questions as you?

Like many other performers, I am frequently asked the same question in relation to my practice; “do you not suffer from nerves as a performer?” A lot of people assume because I am professionally trained that I have nerves of steel, which is not the case. I will admit that my time at college certainly gave me a sense of confidence about my abilities as a performer, but a complete resistance to such a natural reflex is near impossible and, if achieved, quite damaging to practice in my opinion. In a way it goes back to my previous quote by Donnellan, that ‘one’ cannot exist without the other. In this instance, it’s excitement and nerves. A lot of people assume that a technical knowledge and background in a subject would provide answers but my studies normally provoke more questions. I do, however, find it saddening when I speak to aspiring performers who are keen and passionate for the subject but become stagnant when faced with the opportunity to take it further. I’m aware that arts schools can be extremely expensive and that it is not a feasible option for some people to undertake as I too fall into this category. The opportunity to audition for college places and funding for courses is there, however. I know for a fact that without funding I would not have been able to attend Urdang Academy and I consider myself extremely lucky for that. I try my best to persuade any who wish to become involved in the arts to do so. No matter how far they choose to take their interest, they can take pride in knowing that they have. In relation to nerves, there is a famous quote from renowned actor Laurence Olivier from the time he became afflicted with stage fright during a performance of Shakespeare’s ‘Othello’. "Use your weaknesses; aspire to the strength." It is a comforting thought that even the most highly regarded within their professions suffer from the same anxieties as the rest of us. It is human nature and that’s exactly what makes acting so fascinating, does it not?

Prospective lines of inquiry: Nerves and reservations about the performance industry; do individuals find it more of a drawback than a use for empowerment? Is there a correct balance to be met?

How do you decide the appropriate ethical response in a given situation? To what extent are disciplinary responses different to what you might expect more generally in society?

The profession of a performer is one that often requires a level of engagement that others do not. A job in an office, for example, may require a degree of trust and compliance between colleagues but there will rarely be an event that calls for a union to be met between them physically. This is a relationship that performers participate in regularly. Whether it be between individuals meeting for the first time during an audition or a closely-knit network of cast members who have operated together for a long period, the industry demands that artistes be capable of this as part of their practice. That is not to say there is a discard for an ethical code of conduct, and it needs to be met with a level of respect for a colleague. Because of the collaborative nature and dependency of the industry, performers will often work to make their time together as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

Prospective lines of inquiry:
Is it right of creatives within the arts industry to expect artistes to comply with pre-conceived ideals that may put them in a position of discomfort, or is this to be expected as part of professional practice?

Extended prospective lines of inquiry: How does environment inform reflection? Do skills learnt at performing arts colleges display a lack of transparency when reflecting upon practice and, if so, is this informed by the act of art and not education? Why is there so much conflict of ideals within performance (with particular regards to acting) when theorists of reflective practice seem to acknowledge one another? Does this qualify an argument for art against education?


Bibliography

Cuncic, A, 2015 “Social Anxiety and Sir Laurence Olivier” [online] About Health, Available at: http://socialanxietydisorder.about.com/od/celebritieswithsad/p/Sir-Laurence-Olivier.htm [Accessed 30 Apr. 2015]

Donnellan, D (2001) The actor and the target, 2002 re-print, London: Nick Hern Books

Pountney, D, 2015 “Austerity and the arts: the hidden cuts that are bad for our cultural health” [online] The Guardian, Available at: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/apr/21/david-pountney-arts-funding-bad-for-our-cultural-health [Accessed 29 Apr. 2015]

Screen Actors Guild Foundation, 2014, Conversations with Kenneth Branagh [audio-visual], YouTube, Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CukL6wW3qZU [Accessed 28 Apr. 2015]
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment