Tuesday 1 December 2015

Module 2 – Task 5a: Considering ethics within my place of work/professional community

Until recently, I have been slightly anxious as to how best to approach this task. At present I am not engaged in any long-term performance contracts and thus my immediate professional community in relation to practice is limited. I discussed this recently with Lisa via the comment section of a previous post (see 20/11/15 online session). She brought to my attention that activity at ‘work’ can subconsciously help with my thinking in regards to planning for inquiry. In connection with the phrase, it can be defined in a number of different ways and does not necessarily solely encompass my activities whilst on an informed job. I have of late been involved in a number of recalls for various projects and whilst they will not all bear the result in which I had originally attended the audition for i.e. landing the job, this does not mean that the day’s events cannot be fruitful for evaluating practice. Auditions are a great source for networking and, given the candidate’s permission, I could in fact acquire research via this method. Whether many people would be obliged to this during such a time is questionable but the opportunity is there for exploration. What was revelatory in Lisa’s comments is that there is a much wider scope with regards to planning for inquiry than I had initially considered and this may be worth investigating at a later stage before beginning the proposal. Meanwhile, I can assess areas such as ethics with the knowledge I have gathered with previous and existing communities of professional practice, with particular thought leaning on the one I encountered whilst participating in a fringe production last year and also working as drama teaching assistant during my first year of training.

Discretion is vital to a performer’s attitude in the arts. One of the most fascinating aspects about the arts broadly speaking is that it is almost immediately apparent that each artist, whether it be the creative team, technical crew or member of cast, has been selected with an aptitude to deliver something unique to the production. As a colleague I need to remain mindful of this, respecting the decision for that person’s presence. If I am to comment on a performance, it must be done with the intent to help benefit and further the production and not with that of looking to single out or belittle that person’s ability. It is also often best to be dealt with as discreetly as possible, if that means taking those it directly involves aside such as the director and another member of the cast to discuss work on a particular scene or motif within the production. I also need to remain open to critical criticism of my own work and identify that my colleagues are operating with the same ethos as myself.

When working with children, there is a little more involvement with contracts. Before commencing rehearsals, I was required to undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). I have spoken about the process previously with regards to my old job as a drama teaching assistant during module one (see task 1b). The check is put in place to confirm any previous evidence of a criminal record in order to make the environment a safe place for children in the cast, but it also plays a couple of other roles in which I have not experienced personally but have been made known to me. In the case that an outside body, such as a teaching standards examining board entered my place of work (as was the case when I assisted with teaching ISTD drama examinations), the mediators would normally ask for proof of all staff’s eligibility for employment via certificate of a DBS. It is important that this service is carried out regularly (I believe it was every six months in my particular place of employment), not only for the protection of children but also for the staff. Failure to comply with these regulations through negligence can lead to incrimination and the dismissal of a given employee.

There was also the matter of maintaining a professional relationship between myself and the students or child cast members. This included an awareness in the way I communicated with them. If I am asked or feel the need to talk an activity through with them, I need to do it in a way they will understand via relatable themes or ideas. I cannot, after all, expect them to meet the level of compliance akin to a professionally trained performer. At the same time, I cannot speak in a manner as to undermine them. I should be looking to encourage and stimulate their engagement in activities. To follow, material taught must be appropriate to age. This is something I have not handled myself as I have only ever assisted to someone else’s body of work, a creative team’s vision for a play/musical or the drama tutor’s lesson plan for example. It is my job to remain representative of this. Outside of the work process, there is also the subject of personal safeguarding. I have on occasion had a dialogue with a student or cast member in which they have disclosed personal information to me. It can be difficult to assess whether the information they share is something I should be involving myself with. It will often depend upon the content of the dialogue. I want to remain respectful and supportive of a child’s decision to enter discussion with myself as one assumes they trust my opinion, but at the same time I don’t want to endanger my position. There is a duty of pastoral care involved and if I feel information disclosed requires the attention of a higher authority such as my employer or the child’s parent, I am obliged to discreetly share this knowledge with them.

Another factor that comes into play for performers as part of contracts, particularly with film, television and theatre work, are non-disclosure agreements. A legal binding signing of the aforementioned means that knowledge between two or more parties about a particular product cannot be discussed with anyone outside of the agreement. There will come a time, usually upon initial release of the product, where the artist will be able to freely speak about its content. Even after this point, however, what is the personal limit to which an artist can discuss work without spoiling its content? I have not worked with anyone previously who has infringed upon this but the act of doing so can be detrimental to the offender, the property owner and the arts in general. If devastating enough, the owner may reserve the right to call upon the arts union known as ‘Equity’ in order to seek a resolve to the settlement in dispute. I am yet to handle a performance contract large enough that may require the backing and security offered by the union but it is the leading organisation in supporting all aspects of the entertainment industry and important to remain informed about. Equity does not just cover corporations like the BBC, for example, but manages and secures equal pay for all artists that are employed by the likes of a larger establishment. It provides the support that an individual artist cannot on their own should they feel they are being treated unfairly.

Working with my own thoughts on this task without the influence of research has been satisfying in evaluating where ethics apply in my practice. Even if it isn’t surrounding my day to day activities at present, I have a diverse enough experience to identify a few professional communities in which I have had to consider my actions in relation to those around me. It will be interesting to assess my assumptions against sought out codes of practice and regulations as to be examined in the next task.

No comments:

Post a Comment