Tuesday 10 January 2017

Critical Review, Professional Artefact Submission and Developing an Oral Presentation


And breathe. After what has been a bit of a break from blogging as I complete a module three portfolio, my critical review and professional artefact were submitted Friday evening (hooray) and I am underway with work on my oral presentation for the campus session taking place next week. After looking back over the module three handbook I am reminded that the presentation is to last twenty minutes per individual student; ten minutes of prepared work to ten minutes Q&A session with BAPP peers and academic faculty. The handbook also advises that our presentation is expressed through means of an audio-visual tool. I am going to be using Microsoft PowerPoint to highlight areas of the inquiry, this being a tool I have worked with on previous occasions outside of the BAPP programme.

The presentation is to be divided into four sections that cover the inquiry; an introduction, evaluation of the inquiry tools, my main findings and a critical reflection of the entire process. What is convenient about this final part for module three work is the ability to draw on the two former, the critical review and professional artefact when structuring the presentation. I will need to remain succinct when communicating my process, however, to ensure my prospective audience gain the most valuable insights into my inquiry. This means that slides presented through PowerPoint cannot become too complex with ideas that may have been explored in more depth in critical review. The time frame is ten minutes after all and, while this may seem like a long time to be speaking for, will not be able to encompass every aspect of the inquiry process. Therefore, I will need to carefully compile the sections of my critical review and professional artefact that I find best communicates the process. I must also trust that if anyone has any further questions about the inquiry that they will ask in the subsequent Q&A session when I will be able to expand on thoughts. This could include specific detail about data collected through inquiry tools or further ethical implications surrounding the inquiry.

My oral presentation should ultimately communicate what I have achieved from my inquiry and what I will be taking away from the process to incorporate into the next phase of my professional practice. What I must remember is that some audience participants will not be familiar with my inquiry or have followed the progression of its coming together in comparison to the time I have spent working on it. What this could potentially lead to is a short-sightedness in explaining methodology surrounding my inquiry. To prevent this, I will be able to discuss my drafted presentation with tutors in leading up to its taking place to ensure I am on track and remaining vigilant in including all relevant knowledge. I am excited to share these findings with the rest of the BAPP community as well as participating in others presentations as we move into this final stage of the BAPP journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment