Friday 20 November 2015

Module 2 – Task 4c: Developing questions for lines of inquiry within my professional community beyond the BAPP programme

My acting tutor from college replied back to me recently with her thoughts on whether she felt there was any significance to be found in my proposed lines of inquiry. My questions were sent upon writing task 4a and since I feel I have been able to categorise which are viable for further exploration via research conducted since. I do, however, find her input extremely valuable as she is a well-established and respected practitioner herself with experience of the arts that outweighs my own. Below are the responses with some expanded thought of my own.

In comparison to dancing and singing, what makes acting as an art form subjective?

During college I, along with my other peers, participated in a course that integrated all three performance disciplines. The course’s structure was designed to utilise skills learnt across these three art forms to create a “bouquet” method for practice, meaning that the most appropriate teachings developed by dance, singing and acting practitioners were pulled together in order to complement one another. For example, choreographer, dancer and theorist Rudolf Laban’s movement efforts, or Laban Movement Analysis (LMA), were developed by the aforementioned to assist dancers in helping to develop different strokes of fluidity in their work. The technique was later applied to acting in aiding character development. Whilst this is an example of interchangeability, modern dance and singing technique often does not lend itself to acting choices made by the performer. The individual may wish to play a certain action in support of their objective, which may prove effective if the work was a strict acting piece. However, the demands of musical theatre will often require an engagement with singing and dance, either or both at the same time. A degree of compromise is needed in order to carry out all three effectively, and it is arguably the acting that suffers the most as a result.  This raises a vital sub-question as to which discipline should take precedence over another? Is it right for the performer to take it upon themselves to decide which is more important artistically or should they look to accommodate their creative directors and audience? The latter is probably the ethical answer as it falls under an agreement the individual entered when accepting the job.

Whilst my acting tutor found the topic interesting for debate, she did share my issue with it for inquiry in that it is too linear for further investigation. We both agreed that literature as part of research would be thin, and that such a heavy focus on acting would be to neglect knowledge from other disciplines that could possibly prove fruitful for others. At this point I reminded myself that I should be looking to create an inquiry that is engaging for others as well as myself. She then pointed out that whilst the question is most probably too niche to become a fully fleshed investigation, it could play a part in supporting another question I had posed.

Why is there so much conflict of ideals within performance (with particular regards to acting) when theorists of reflective practice seem to acknowledge one another?

This question has not been edited since my initial post with task 2d, a time in which I was beginning to develop knowledge and find an appreciation for reflective practice. What has been reaffirmed since starting the BAPP programme is that I find practitioner research riveting and further enjoy learning how new ideologies play within my own practice. I will admit, however, that this question was may have been the premature result of my own thoughts running wild, unrefined. Not to say there is anything wrong with this, especially since this was a question formed during a task only attempting to turn my thinking to possible topics for inquiry. My acting tutor professed to not having the widest knowledge of reflective practice, however among initial reading of the question she pointed out a gaping flaw that I had not really considered. Instead of attempting an answer she instead asked me a question; why I was interested in evaluating reflective practitioner’s concepts above other subjects as found on the course?

I had previously explained to her before presenting the questions that aspects of the course focused on the uses of information technologies, networking, reflective practice and ethics (the latter of which being a reasonably new addition when considering inquiry). She felt that the title displayed a negligence for context, meaning without an example of practice that, for example, a question influenced from someone’s work within a school has the inquiry loses a clear objective and becomes bottomless. Whilst it is correct for me to challenge particular practitioner’s views in conjunction with my practice it should not be governing the overall subject question, but rather shaping arguments as well as being influenced by other practitioners within their fields. What I ultimately drew from this was that I should not be looking to begin an investigation with a question as focused as the one presented as it signifies I have reached a conclusion before unpacking anything that has brought me to it. I may know my reasons for reaching this argument but, in order for others to find any value or understanding in my query, it must be appropriately discussed.

Aside from the title, my acting tutor did find significance in the bullet points that made up my thinking for the aforementioned question and found these of more interest and more in line with what she thought I should have been engaging. They were the following:

·         Does this qualify an argument for art against education?

·         Can any examples of a crossover between ideologies be proven?

·         How does this translate within the context of the professional workplace?

·         Does vocational training, formal public/syllabus education or self-acquired skills from separate practitioners within a single company affect collaboration?

These questions were instantly more relatable to her practice for, as a teacher, she is dealing with a number of different students on a daily basis. She told me as she once did whilst I was training that students will come from a variety of differing backgrounds. Some will have had lots of exposure to acting training whether it be through school or extra-curricular activities whilst others will be starting lessons with more competence as a dancer or singer. She mentioned that a lot of students will utilise techniques learned in their respective fields to aid developing an understanding within her classes, such as the Laban Movement Analysis as aforementioned. She found my latter two bullet pointed sub-questions of particular, citing that whilst they were still too vague for analysis the context is present and this is the structure I should be employing; context first, practitioner research and ideology in support, followed by analysis and argument. We found an example of this approach working when she asked me about my first sub-question; “does this qualify an argument for art against education?” She mentioned that if this was to make up part of the body for inquiry, this should instead follow the latter two and would require a degree of literature support to give some weight and justify its presence. She then asked if this question has been informed by any practitioner in particular whilst studying. Although the question was a product of my own thinking, it does lend itself to John Barnett’s concept of multiple “tools of learning” as I have discovered upon examining reader four. I will be looking at his ideology more closely in task 4d with reference to appropriate literature and its relevance to my inquiry interests.

This first experience of an external source providing feedback for my current position with regards to inquiry has been one of apprehension, but satisfying all the while. I am approaching a time on the programme where I will be prepping questions related to my inquiry topic for trial interviews later in the module. I must remind myself that while it will be a difficult to process and collate information from various sources, especially given the diverse number of roles I will be considering in relation to my practice as a performer, they will also be fundamental in helping to produce a debate with a much wider breadth than can be achieved with only my own knowledge.

 
Bibliography
Espeland, T, 2015, “The theatrefolk blog” The eight efforts: laban movement [online] Available at: http://www.theatrefolk.com/blog/the-eight-efforts-laban-movement/ [Accessed 18 November. 2015]

No comments:

Post a Comment