Monday 5 October 2015

Continuing with studies and BAPP Arts Meeting Room via Adobe Connect (Breeze)

After a long break, the new study period for BAPP has begun. I meet this second module with a degree of trepidation after such an extended amount of time away from the programme. I fell into a rather effective rhythm prior to the first module ending in balancing acting work, auditions and my regular job amongst studies and, after reading the module two handbook and fourth reader for the first three weeks of study, am feeling slightly overwhelmed by the amount of new material to process. However, amongst these fears I am also eager to continue discovering new findings that link the theory found on the course and my own professional practice. At the start of module one, I was struggling to find many correlations between the material on the course and the knowledge I had acquired during my time training and working since graduating. I was, therefore, elated to find as the module progressed an array of similarities and that disparities in fact made for increased discussion on topics, leading to potential lines of inquiry and important in informing this coming module.

Since finishing module one, I have continued to think about the course over the summer and in that time experienced new events within my professional field that I feel could contribute to the work being pursued in the weeks to come. After signing with a new agency a couple of months ago I have had the opportunity to audition for productions that I had no means of prior, one of which being a West End show. This particular audition was something a revelatory experience for me but, at the same time, one I knew the outcome of all the while. I had something of a mental block about auditioning for West End productions. That they were the ‘crème de menthe’ for a performer to be partaking in and required an above average level of preparation, more so than any other audition. I had conjured visions of candidates singing and dancing in the theatre space that some of them would later be performing in two months or so down the line once they had landed the job. I think these ideas had spawned out of fantasy because my actual experience could have been mistaken for any other audition I had attended in the past. This feeling of anxiety, of treating the event above other of its kind evaporated as soon as I entered the space in which it took place, in this case a dance studio. And then two hours later, it was over.

To bring this story back to my preoccupation with the new module, I feel that this particular experience and its unfolding were not only formed by my own preconceived ideals but also a product of influence via my college training. This isn’t to be mistaken as a cry for help and that my college brainwashed or scare mongered me into this thinking. The belief was instilled that every audition must be treated and received with the upmost preparation. Perhaps it was because West End and touring productions were often used as examples when tutors referenced auditions and made me as a student feel like it existed on a plateau above other mediums of performance employment. I’m sure this was not the intent of all tutors and, in fact, a part was my own naivety at play. It does, however, present a question worthy of discussion; how does environment inform my professional practice? From what I have read of the handbook, this second module is about taking what we have learnt thus far and using it as a platform for developing a further understanding. If the first module was encouraging an awareness and critical thinking when analysing my professional practice, this new one looks to use extended theories to promote a more focused view into potential lines of inquiry. I must engage with all possible ideas either existing or yet to be developed, unpack and investigate all aspects of a proposed question before assessing if it is indeed valuable to pursue and take into the third module, not only for myself but its usefulness to other individuals on the BAPP course and anyone else working within the same professional field. I will be following this up in the first part of this module i.e. part four.

The last point made about finding significance in a potential line of inquiry for others outside of my own is one I will be constantly referring back to whilst progressing through this module. If module one was cultivating the ability to use tools including information technology, reflection and networking in assessing my own professional practice, module two looks to implement the same but with a thinking as to its relevance amongst other peers. I was unfortunate to miss the introductory orientation Skype sessions preceding the start date, so I was therefore keen to participate in the new platform being utilised for the course which works in tandem with goals as aforementioned; the ‘BAPP Arts Meeting Room’ via Adobe Connect (Breeze). Set up by Paula and Adesola prior to the study period commencing, the software works like a Skype session but with the added factor that presentation similar to that of Microsoft PowerPoint can be shared and viewed not only by Paula and Adesola as tutors, but us as students should we ever feel we can contribute to a discussion or topic. Entire presentations can be uploaded and edited within sessions. This style of a consumer/creator relationship plays very much like an online classroom, an excellent mode for instigating course activities.

The session was attended by Paula, Ellie and I. It was wonderful to connect with them and hear of their activities over the summer period. Unfortunately, I experienced some technical difficulties with the program which took me out of the session halfway through. These are errors that I am looking to address before the next one occurs. After the session concluded, I had a Skype conversation with Paula in which she filled me in on all information I missed. We spoke on ways in which to fall back into study and approaching the reader for the first part of this module. Since then, I have taken the time to examine it and have found many interesting theories that relate to questions for possible inquiry. I will, however, save dissection of these for my task posts. For now, I am enthused to be continuing my exploration and, unlike last study period, starting the new module with a few extra weeks in hand to allow for an increased and more thought-out plan in my studies.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Tom - great to see you in person at the campus session as well - getting together takes time - but it sounds like it has helped with your thinking through Module 2 - look forward to more blogs about your inquiry. Please come onto my blog to add some comments about the session!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Paula. Yes, likewise, it was great to see yourself and other fellow BAPPers. I definitely feel a lot more zoned in on the module since partaking in both sessions and feel some of the ideas we discussed have helped inform my task work that will be up on my blog soon. And yes, thank you for reminding me. I will see if I can add anything of value regarding the session.

    ReplyDelete