Tuesday 5 May 2015

Module 1 - Task 3a: Current Networks

The online session focusing on the third part of module one brought attention to professional networks. If I’m honest, prior to the session I was of the belief that my current operation of networks do not stretch that far. It was a pleasant surprise, however, upon carrying out the session’s exercise to notice that I do in fact have a variety of networks that I deal with on a day-to-day basis within my practice. I am beginning to enter a mode of self-awareness regarding these communities, a way of thinking I have not been conscious of for some time and perhaps due to the amount of time I have spent operating within them. My diagram identified various communities of practice and provoked me into thinking about the various tools to be found within them, some of which I made note of. These recorded tools will be used a springboard for evaluating and sourcing ways to possibly extend methods of my on-going professional networks.

After having some time to reflect upon the outcome of my diagram in relation to the online session, I have noticed that a lot of my bullet points do not mention my use of web 2.0 platforms amongst other contributors. Looking at what I have so far I realised the reason I didn’t was because I engage with nearly all aspects listed through means of web 2.0. This is most recognisable in my practice as a performer and, indeed, my studies for the BAPP course. Particularly within the realms of performing, I have numerous tools at my disposal for promoting myself.

The use of e-mail for contacting the likes of agencies, casting directors and colleagues is a priority and it often supplies the most direct form of contact in advancing opportunities for myself. I also use a number of extended services such as Ray Knight Casting and Universal Extras’ websites for film work and the performer directory known as Spotlight serves as a constant stream for suggesting suitable work for audition. Being a member of Spotlight, there are a number of communities within the organisation that can help further the performer’s reach. Events such as ‘Surviving Actors’ or the ‘Spotlight Ball’ bring industry professionals together and can help inform the individual as to where they currently stand and how to build upon their current position. Recently, I have found a new tool for use offered by ‘The Stage’. In recent years they have expanded on their use of web 2.0 and now, as well as offering their weekly magazine to subscribers online, operate a castings (appropriately named ‘The Stage Castings’) service. Performers can audition for work through means of recorded video and sound clips. This service is ideal to the performer. It is an extremely accessible tool that allows for a quick and easy outreach, something incredibly effective for the industry relating to its current climate. I will also use more informal and social platforms such as Facebook for contact with others. I have often found upon meeting people on jobs that it is the quickest way to open up a dialogue post job’s end.

I am aware, however, that there is much more I can be doing to further extend my current networks. A common platform I frequently hear being used amongst industry professionals is ‘LinkedIn’, a networking site that allows job seekers to engage and build relations with companies and employers of interest. In terms of using it for the purpose of finding work within the arts, it can be an invaluable source. I myself set up an account some time ago but have not found much use for it just yet. I am constantly on the lookout for opportunities but maybe I do not invest enough time in discovering networks beyond initial, obvious and familiar sources e.g. responding to an audition for a cruise- line company advertised in The Stage magazine. Existing tools at my disposal such as Instagram and YouTube could be utilised to broadcast my current activities. This could be posting new pictures of a production I am working on or uploading my showreels or other video footage. If properly kept and maintained, an online presence could prove as effective today as physical practice e.g. travelling to attend auditions/meetings.

I often see performer’s post nearly all there is to do with their current activities to their Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. In my work as a performer, I have been taught to keep a lot of my work to myself before revealing it to an audience. It is as Declan Donnellan says, “All the actor’s research is part of the invisible work, while the performance is part of the visible work.” In my work as a developing practitioner, however, I am learning that maybe these ideals could arguably hinder progress in a more immediate sense. I should be celebrating even the smallest successes with my peers in order to maintain a stance of pro-activeness. On the other hand, maybe there is a way to develop professional practice without risking artistic integrity. It goes back to what I discussed in my previous post with regards to the online session, the idea of compartmentalising and calling upon different skills when required. In any case, perhaps by making more time to explore these other networks and approaches I could find a plethora of new tools for self-promotion and in turn make myself a lot more employable.

Even in my aforementioned tools I currently use I sometimes wish there could be a more cohesive, direct network for access, one where a number of the existing come together to exist in a singular space. This could include a section for uploading CV’s, headshots showreels for viewing as well as a direct messaging service to allow for industry professionals to contact each other. It could be particularly useful for casting directors and agents. They could find requirements for themselves and pull together a list of suitable candidates. I think this would be particularly effective for smaller productions and organisations. The network could also feature a group forum for members to chat and informed on industry happenings. Opportunities for auditions and such could be posted and seen by a much wider consumer basis than that of a post to a first-party website. It may mean an increased competition, but it would also encourage a much more diverse selection in candidates.

Whilst I recognise that my ideal network does not currently exist, there are certainly things I can do better with my current tools of practice. I have experienced fringe theatre but my engagement with it has been through word of mouth and by procedure of email. I am aware, however, that groups exist particularly through social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter and offer the chance for networking. I feel I also neglect existing networks such as LinkedIn because I do not understand its use and discard in favour for what I know works well for me. This is probably short-sighted of myself and does no credit in helping advance my career. I could also take the opportunity whilst studying on the BAPP course to talk to other students about networks they use in their practice, whether there are any that cross-over with my own and where new ones can be found. I hope to find further inspiration through looking at other student’s blog entries relevant to this part of the module. With this in mind, I will now begin to critically look at my current level of engagement with networking, acknowledging established practitioner’s theories and how they could be of value to me in developing a new perspective on the subject.

Bibliography

Donnellan, D (2001) The actor and the target, 2002 re-print, London: Nick Hern Books

No comments:

Post a Comment