Monday 9 March 2015

A Journey Begins...

And so a new venture begins with Middlesex’s BAPP Programme, one that I approach with a measure of nerves and, even more so, excitement. I like to consider myself a fairly competent user of information technologies, an area of which I have always embraced. It is no secret that social media plays a big role in modern society, increasingly now more than ever. It is difficult in this day and age to find someone who is not a user of platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, a combination of the aforementioned and/or various others. I, like many others, choose to use these tools on an everyday basis to fulfil a purpose whether it be professional or for leisure. I have not, however, gone as far as to create and maintain my own personal blog. This probably stems from a personal opinion of mine. The opinion that a tool that is essentially an online journal and often used to document one’s everyday experiences could really be worth anyone else’s attention outside of my own. I am not a public figure of authority nor a major influence to the online community. Much like a diary, a blog entry often contains personal experiences that to me sometimes feel like the user is seeking validation or counsel from an online audience. Please don’t be mistaken, I have nothing against people who like to release and share their experiences in this manner. I understand that it can be liberating for some and I can certainly respect their decision and right to express themselves in this form. I am just of the belief that events of the individual are singular and unique to that person. Readers can draw comparisons and groups may even reach a general consensus on themes discussed by the writer, but the experience can never be replicated by another person in the way it originated for the writer. It is their experience and theirs alone. Maybe these are shallow observations on my part, maybe it shows a lack of confidence and a fear of expressing myself so openly through the medium of the World Wide Web, who knows? For all of you who have stuck with me in reading this far and are thinking “Oh dear, this guy is a bit doom and gloom”, fear not. I am now going to shine some contrast on the matter.

A rather special factor about this course is that the students participating come from a shared and varied background of performance practice. Whether it be as an actor, singer, dancer or a more behind the scenes but equally as important role of a lighting designer, casting director, etc. Each student brings their own experience and aims to communicate their practice for others to follow and draw their own thoughts and inspiration. Now, I know what you’re thinking. “But you said you don’t think experiences can be replicated by others in the same way it originated for the writer?” Yes you’re right, I don’t. However, it is different catering information to a smaller group of like-minded individuals who share a common interest (in our case, the arts) than posting a link to your thousand plus friend list on Facebook. How many truly share and exhibit the same passion for your chosen field of subject in the way you do? This is perhaps, for me, the most exhilarating aspect of the course, one that inspires me to believe that blogging can be worthy of something much more than I previously gave credit for; the opportunity to share and discuss the arts in such an intimate and valued manner as it deserves and the Middlesex BAPP Programme allows. I am excited to share this journey with fellow students on the course. I expect to learn a great deal from their blogs and look forward to following their activities, whatever walk of the arts they may previously/currently be from.

I am surprised by the length of this first blog post, I did not expect it to be as drawn out as it has become. If this outpouring, however, is any indication as to how my blog is to continue I very much look forward to implementing this new tool as part of my weekly routine for the duration of the course. Happy blogging, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment